Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Here is a receipe for making your own homemade laundry detergent. I have been doing this for over a year now. It saves money and it actually cleans the clothes better than even the higher price detergents on the market. I have the receipe and pictures for you. Oh, by the way, a load of wash will only cost approx. 3 cents!

1 5.5 ounce bar Fels Naptha soap
2 cups washing soda
2 cups borax
water

Use a cheese grater or food processor, grate the entire 5.5 ounce bar of Fels-Naptha, finely.

Place the grated Fels Naptha into a cooling pot. Add just enough water to cover, and heat over low heat, stirring, until soap is melted, not boiling. Remove from heat and stir in borax and washing soda. Once this mixture has cooled down (like luke-warm temperature) then pour this into a large bucket that has 3 gallons of water in it. Stir the mixture. Then, let it sit until it is completely cooled. I usually let it set over night. Then, the next day I stir it again making sure to get all clumps broken up. then, I use my funnel and pour into old milk jugs. You could also keep in a large bucket with a lid and scoop out what you need. Whatever works for you. For a normal to large load use 1/2 cup. For a small load use 1/4 cup liquid detergent.
I have also learned that you can use Zote (pink bar soap). If you use this one then only use 1/2 bar as it is a large bar of soap. You could even use your own bath soap. I haven't tried it but I heard it works well.

Happy Washing!

3 comments:

C. JoyBell C. said...

wow! i didn't expect this post on your blog! :D

where did this come from? woohoo! I love spontaneity! :D

Grampy said...

Thank You. That is a good idea. Being retired I have the time. I could however use a bit more money.

Jill said...

Thanks for the Money-Saving Info my friend :)