Thursday, August 28, 2008

Stress

Today, I want to write about something near to my heart. It's stress. I have been suffering from it. That's not the way that God wants us to live. In Phiippians 4:6, God's word tells us: "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving,let your requests be made known to God" It's hard for me to write this but, I feel that I must. I have been a born again believer for 23 years! Also, I am going to school to be a Christian Counselor. That's how I learned that this is not the way our Lord wants us to live. You see, things such as too much caffiene (guilty), too little sleep (guilty), alcohol (don't do that), inhalents (even asthma medication), and illegal drugs (don't do that) can all cause stress. Stress causes arousal on the adrenal system. So, we need natural tranquilizers to counteract this (stress).To enhance our brain's natural tranquilizers we need to: Sleep more (research has proven this)
Exercise (research has proven)
Humor/Laughter (unhappy people rob themselves)
Optimism (positive outlook)

Positive people are optimistic. Our ultimate hope is Jesus. True peace can only be found through Jesus Christ.
Another great Bible verse is: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13.
A book I can reccommend for stress, anxiety, overcoming fear, or phobias, and panic disorders is: "Habits of the Mind" by Dr. Archibald Hart.
So, this Christian will be working hard to live God's way. I wish you many blessings in your journey!

2 comments:

M. C. Pearson said...

Praying that the hurricane dies off soon and that you won't see any of it!

Refreshment in Refuge said...

Jeanie, I live in Picayune, MS and I'm praying and saying "Go Away Gustav!"

I belong to FIRST, too, and post at my Upon Reflection blog.

I will be praying for you and yours through this trying time.